- Atrij (pizza, but Štorija is better),
- Banderbar (yummy pršut toast),
- Pri Bepiju (Čevljarska street; home cooked Mediterranean food, point to what you want),
- Cameral (sometimes burgers or Thai food, great beer)
- Chada (Thai food)
- Fast Food Magic (on the coast, our favorite of lots of similar places),
- Fritolin (fast food seafood, fried or grilled),
- Mornarček (sit-down seafood),
- Na stopničkah (vegan and vegetarian food),
- Pivnica (high-ish end slovenian pub food, next to Na stopničkah)
- Sarajevo 84 (Balkan grill),
- Sarajevska čevabdžinica (in the Planet Koper mall, we like it better than Sarajevo 84),
- Štorija (for pizza, on the coast, our favorite pizza in town).
Some other food options:
What to do on your afternoon off
- Climb the bell tower (on Tito square; 204 steps)
- Visit the Praetorian Palace (on Tito square; they have guided tours)
- Visit the Škocjanski Zatok nature reserve, the largest brackish wetland in Slovenia. It is home to over 220 migratory bird species and 45 breeding species. (Open every day from sunrise to sunset).
- Tito Square is the former Platea communis and today's central town square.
- The altar painting by Carpaccio (1forfor516) can be seen in the Cathedral of St. Mary's Assumption.
- Fontico (1392): the front of the former town granary holds the coat-of-arms of the Chief Magistrate and Captain of Koper Bernardo Diedo - it is the oldest depiction of Koper's coat-of-arms.
- Prešeren square with Da Ponte Fountain (1666) and the Muda gate (1516). The gate was the main entrance to the town.
- The Carpaccio square is named after the Venetian painter who supposedly lived and worked in Koper in the 16th century. The Taverna building on this square was used as a salt warehouse in the Venetian republic.
- On Museum square (right by the workshop venue), see the Koper Regional Museum, the ethnological collection and the Carpaccio house.
- The Belveder Bastion is the only preserved fortified facility of the former encampment wall. In the late 19th century, the Bastion's ground floor was used for the production and storage of wine and liqueurs.
- The treasury of art of the Monastery Church of St. Anne includes preserved late Gothic choir benches from the 16 century, one of the greatest monuments of wooden artefacts in former Venetian Istria.
- An iced coffee, "ledena kava", is not coffee with ice but something closer to a coffee sundae.
- A dessert festival Sweet Istria will take place in Koper from Friday the 28th to Sunday the 30th.
- If you can't wait for the dessert festival, try a cake at kavarna Triglav (Pristaniška street) or get some ice-cream at Sladoledarna (in the market building, on the side opposite the one facing Pristaniška).
For more options, see the Koper website. You can find some tourist leaflets in the Praetorian Palace and in the tourist agency.